The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Exiting what? Date:  1/4/2013  12:35 PM
Author:  gdett2 Number:  71199 of 88786


If the company matches a portion of her contribution, I would fund it to that level since a 1 to 1 match is a 50% return for the year.

Outside of that you have your trad and Roth IRAs. If she is over the income level for a Roth, a non-deducible contribution to a trad IRA can be made then converted to a Roth. If she has no traditional IRA-type accounts (IRA/SEP/SIMPLE/etc), it can be done without a tax implication.

Talk to a tax person about this before doing it.

Beyond the above, investing in a taxable account can be tax efficient by selecting your investments carefully and not trading in and out a lot.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us