The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means


Subject:  Re: non-profit board member? Date:  1/5/2013  6:12 AM
Author:  ataloss Number:  870165 of 902420

You will need a lawyer to do your 501(c)3 paper work for the IRS. Anyone that donates to the organization is going to need a copy of that so they can show the IRS you are indeed a non-profit. Until you have that, you aren't one.


This and other misconceptions are common. There is a difference between being a nonprofit (per state law) and a public charity (irs designation). Boardsource has good information and Nolo has several books that are worthwhile. Always nice to have an attorney on the board but not actually necessary.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us