The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Short Term Trading

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/startling-free-scan-result-30468019.aspx

Subject:  Startling free scan result. Date:  1/5/2013  11:19 AM
Author:  SnowBawl Number:  36520 of 36691

I share because it happened. I use CAPS to track lists of he-saids, scans, scams, whatever else catches my fancy. After a year of following one list, it appeared to produce most remarkable returns, though I wasn't tracking the exact result. A good handful of really big gainers.

So, on 12/5/12, one month ago, I put in the new formal list, which you can see raw results in my CAPS list on 12/5. The scan is free, Yahoo's small cap growth scan, with the additional parameter of a price to sales ration of < 1. The list of 25 stocks AVERAGED a 10% return to the S&P500's 3.14%. I regard that as a remarkably powerful list of outperformers, for such a big clump. And with so little effort on my part.

There were 4 outliers, that returned 43, 29, 25 and 21 percent. I kicked two off the list for underperforming the index by more than 10%, and accounted them accordingly. Only 5 underperfomed the index. So 20 of 25 beat the index. Two of the remaining 23 were negative, with an average of -2%.

I'm finding this staggering. It's a small sample time, but a pretty healthy sample size. It is bearing out what I though I was seeing the year before.

I share because I have the result.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us