The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-bush-tax-cuts-and-bushs-wars-were-such-huge-30468022.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cashing In On A Massacre Date:  1/5/2013  11:20 AM
Author:  MadCapitalist Number:  664364 of 744188

The Bush tax cuts and Bush's wars were such huge talking points because spending increased under Bush and we started running large deficits. If we had contained spending, it would not have been nearly as big an issue. And don't get me started on the Medicare prescription benefit.

But look at what happened, the Dems blasted Bush over spending, then they amped it up several magnitudes and now they are silent on spending under Obama. If they didn't beat up Bush on spending it would have been over something else.

The problem was never really about spending, per se. The problem was the deficits. Democrats blamed the deficits on tax cuts and wars, tax cuts and wars, tax cuts and wars, over and over again. Few people care enough to learn the true drivers of the deficits, so it was effective. They couldn't have criticized Bush for "unfunded" tax cuts and wars if we were running surpluses.

Would Democrats try to find something else to criticize Republicans about? Of course, but at least Republicans wouldn't have turned off so many conservatives, libertarians, and those in the center with their fiscal irresponsibility.

I voted for Bush in 2000. By the 2004 election, I was already disgusted with Bush and Republicans and vowed never to vote for the lesser of two evils again. Republicans lost a lot of voters like me over the years.

Republicans will *never* get the votes of liberals and those in favor of a large welfare state, but they don't need to. They just need to stop turning off voters that would never vote Democrat (like me) and those that are on the fence.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us