The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/republicans-blew-it-by-having-horrible-policies-30468828.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cashing In On A Massacre Date:  1/5/2013  8:32 PM
Author:  knighttof3 Number:  664483 of 734825

Republicans blew it by having horrible policies. The Bush tax cuts and Bush's wars were such huge talking points because spending increased under Bush and we started running large deficits. If we had contained spending, it would not have been nearly as big an issue. And don't get me started on the Medicare prescription benefit.

Republicans under Bush should have taken the opportunity to continue to decrease spending as a percentage of GDP, and then we should have run surpluses even after the so-called tax cuts. They could have been the party of fiscal responsibility, but they blew it.

Also, we should have been out of Iraq and Afghanistan after only a few years. We should have trained them to defend themselves as quickly as possible and then gotten the heck out of there. Instead, these wars continue to hurt Republicans more than a decade later.

Republicans need to re-brand themselves and need to stick to the new brand. From an economic policy standpoint, they have to be adamant about low marginal tax rates, low spending, low regulation, and a strong dollar. They have to stop this Keynesian nonsense. The low spending has to come first, starting *now*. It is extremely difficult to sell low tax rates when you are spending like crazy and running massive deficits.

Will Republicans do it? Not a chance in hell. They don't have a backbone. They don't have the courage to do what's right because they know that it will be politically difficult in the short run because it will take time to restore the trust that has been lost. Until Republicans clarify their principles and then act consistently with those principles, they will just continue to flounder.

It's not often that I agree with you so this is very nice :-)
I agree with pretty much everything you said above. The one disagreement is: I don't think we needed to be in Iraq in the first place. I have no clue why we went in at all and what we were supposed to achieve anyway. When I saw Bush under the "Mission Accomplished" banner, I was confused because I didn't know what the mission actually was.
Afghanistan war, to me, is more defensible. We ousted Taliban who sheltered al Qaeda (our enemies.) But we should have then turned over the country to Northern Alliance and concentrated solely on finding bin Laden and other al Qaeda members. No need for so much nation building directly. If you really want, give them some money (like we do to Israel, Egypt, Pakistan, etc) and then let them figure out how to squander it :-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us