The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-2010-and-2011-we-did-two-people-for-350-a-30469194.aspx

Subject:  Re: $200 a month food budget Date:  1/6/2013  7:55 AM
Author:  wrjohnston91283 Number:  870183 of 884988

for 2010 and 2011 we did two people for $350 a month,including dining out. We had a kid this year, so we did a lot more dining out (take out, quick stops for food, etc), so in the spring we weren't able to plan as much (plus my wife got really picky about what she wanted to eat while pregnant). We crossed $400 for the two of us this year because of that. We only got back into our normal routine in December.

We're have a giant list of new recipes we're want to try at least 2 of each week, so that does take a little toll, since they sometimes require things we don't normally buy. But if we like them, they'll enter into the regular rotation and become part of our planning. And we throw the dislike recipes out, so the pile should get smaller over the year.

We just loaded up on Lean Cuisines and I'm going to bring a bunch to work for the freezer. Sometimes I leave my lunch at home, and end up spending $6+ for lunch at work.

wrj
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us