The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Fools Fighting Fat

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-notice-many-heavyset-really-old-people-in-30469431.aspx

Subject:  Re: It's healthy to be fat! Date:  1/6/2013  11:16 AM
Author:  legalwordwarrior Number:  57495 of 58946

I don't notice many heavyset really old people in the stores. All the very elderly I see are quite thin. I first noticed this when taking care of my 90+ year old grandmother--she was quite thin too. It just seems that the ones who make it into really, really old age are lower on the BMI scale.

I think it's not so much that they aren't around, it's that they don't get around as easily as they used to, so we don't tend to see them.

Plus, as we age, we tend to lose sensitivity in our sense of taste and smell, so the really thin older folks are often the ones who simply cannot bring themselves to eat. My grandfather, who starved himself to death in a nursing home was one of those. He told me that he discovered as he got older that he could not really taste the food and that most food, once you remove the flavor, has a texture that is completely revolting.

My favorite aunt is 91, she's not thin, she has osteo-arthritis in her hips, knees and ankles and osteoporosis in her back. As a younger woman she was always active adn maintained a healthy weight, not really heavy, but also not really thin.

Over the Christmas break, we visited her in the assisted living resort she's moved into. I noticed dozens of older folks in the lobby and dining room. While there were only a few that would be considered really fat, most of them looked as though they could stand to lose at least 20 lbs or so. Not a one of them would be considered "really thin". But then again, this is Texas and being in the South, our older folks grew up on corn bread, bisquits and gravy, and chicken fried everything. It's not at all unusual for our older folks to make it into their 90s, but then again, we also have a lot of folks here who don't make it out of teir 50s. I chalk most of it up to genetics. You either have a family history of long life or you don't ;0)

Of course, once you hit octogenarian and above, it's harder to get out and about, and as a result you don't get "seen" quite so often. DH's grandmother made it to 96. She was about a far from a specimen of thin as you could get. She was a good 60+ lbs overweight and smoked like a chimney. Ironically, her poor health habits did not cause her death. She actually died following a fall in her home.

Ironically, his tiny little grandmother on his dad's side was a teetotaler who never smoked, yet she had colon cancer twice. She survived with treatment in her 50s, but died from it in her early 70s.

LWW
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us