The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/course-when-i-see-working-like-quotindex-30469917.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement, college, and Obamanomics Date:  1/6/2013  5:05 PM
Author:  Dwdonhoff Number:  71222 of 75523

'course, when I see working like "Index Growth Cap for a new segment on the Segment Start Date", it makes me think that I'm gonna get screwed. The weasel wording indicates to me that "segment" is probably not the same as "year", because if they meant year they would have said year. But they didn't, and you have to wonder, "Why is that?"
Because you choose what timeframe you want your plan to work on;
> annual anniversary
> 5 year anniversaries, rolling,
> 3 year anniversaries, rolling,
> Monthly averages

It only sounds like "weasel wording" if you refuse to educate yourself on the instrument... exactly the same as terminology around other common financial instruments.

Nobody is arguing in favor of some other specific strategy.
OK, so we finally have it out explicitly; Nobody has anything that can outperform the features of an IUL... fine.

You simply can't accept what you can't understand, and you can't understand the trade method and tax law that makes IULs outperform. OK.

They/we are arguing that IUL's are very costly, and make an impossible promise ("stock market returns without stock market risk." )
Again, they are the most expensive we to get their performances.....
EXCEPT FOR all the alternative methods to get the same performances.

Strategies that focus on low volatility harm your long-term returns.
Except when they don't... but you don't understand the process, so you'll never accept it.

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us