The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/alan-king-wrote-a-book-anyone-who-owns-their-own-30470266.aspx

Subject:  Re: Speakers Date:  1/6/2013  8:49 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  10114 of 10536

Alan King wrote a book: ‘Anyone Who Owns Their Own Home Deserves It’. How correct.

Last year I punched a hole – I was backing up the boat at the time – into the garage door. Just had it fixed and there goes $1700. And that dry rot in the outside back door? $800. A week ago we had a wind storm that blew out the fence and I have yet to get an estimate but it ain’t gonna be cheap.

This is my fourth house – I gave one away to an ex-wife hoping it would fall on her.

Each house has had something that cost. This house I stole the living room off the kitchen telling Elly I wanted to build a nice home theater (we had a 42-in. Mitsubishi CRT at the time) and I said I would spread the cost across a few years (failing to tell her that part of that would be the cost of upgrading components to new standards such as HDMI). She said okay but would have final say on furniture. A good trade off.

After 25 years of marriage Elly has seen components come and go and, as far as she’s concerned, it’s replacement of one black box with another. Not that she’s uninterested yet to her if I looks good and sounds good then it is good. It’s the same with me and her buying shoes” I look, I appreciate; I don’t enquire cost.

Of course, if I hit the lottery then 4K here it comes. LG has a nice ultra-definition TV and it’s only $15,000.

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us