The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/why-not-just-upgrade-your-quicken-for-windows-and-30470406.aspx

Subject:  Re: money management software recs? Date:  1/6/2013  11:07 PM
Author:  awlabrador Number:  61917 of 66122

Why not just upgrade your Quicken for Windows and keep using it via VMware? Everything I've read or heard is that Quicken for Windows is better than Quicken for Mac. I like Quicken for Mac. In my personal opinion, Quicken for Mac (including the Lion-compatible version) is better than the other Mac packages, so I figure that anything less than Quicken for Windows will disappoint you.

My biggest complaint with the other Mac applications is that, at least as of a couple of years or so ago, all but one of them failed to import my years of Quicken Mac data completely and correctly. Far too many incorrect accounts and entries to be worth the effort to fix by hand. The one that succeeded (apparently) was SEE Finance, but I didn't like the interface or how it handled account-to-account transfers.

Speaking of importing data, importing data from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac may not be straightforward, either, but Intuit has some online instructions for that.

Bottom line for me is that, while it may be overkill for your needs, I'd suggest just upgrading Quicken for Windows and VMware, if necessary. IMO, the hassles of switching to another program aren't worth the effort. If you insist on switching to a Mac application, then I'd suggest the path of least resistance is Quicken for Mac (Lion-compatible), for which Karen (toberead) has provided a link. And it's cheap.

-awlabrador
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us