The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/would-you-mind-expanding-a-little-on-what-you-are-30470420.aspx

Subject:  Re: Achoo! Date:  1/6/2013  11:18 PM
Author:  CelloSpice Number:  664775 of 741439

Would you mind expanding a little on what you are saying here?

CC says Nyquil is different, but all of the other combination cough formulas I have ever looked at contained insufficient quantities of dextromethorphan to have any effect whatsoever on a cough. It makes zero sence to me, but that's the way they formulate those things. However, if you buy dextromethorphan alone, you can get the property dosage. For adults, that is at least 30 ml. Formulas containing less than 30 ml of dex should contain zero, because it would have the same effect. Why take something that isn't going to help you?

That stuff is nasty tasting, which may be why arrete barfs (or maybe it just doesn't agree with her). I know of few things that taste as disgusting as dex. My advice, if you need to suppress a cough, get the gel caps.

I'm going to take credit for the gel caps. Many years ago, I called the makers of Robitussin, and I told them that dextromethorphan tastes disgusting, and the customer service representative agreed with me. Then I said that Robitussin should make it in a gel cap, and could she please pass that on to marketing? She promised to do so, and a few years later, gel caps appeared--Robitussin made them first! I'm sure it was my suggestion that did it. ;)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us