The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/investment-accounts-whether-retirement-or-30470683.aspx

Subject:  Re: How long to keep records? Date:  1/7/2013  7:37 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  117314 of 121216

Investment accounts, whether retirement or taxable, yield incredible amounts of paper in the form of statements. They serve only one useful purpose IMO. You should check to make sure nothing hinky is going on. Having done that review, I'd pitch it. If you do this online you never have paper. If you're getting paper statments, you keep the current one only until you get the next one.

I'm going to disagree with Phil on this one. Although things are getting better with increased types of 1099-reporting, there are still tax related transactions which can appear on monthly statements and nowhere else: investment interest, investment expenses and certain corporate reorganization transactions. Many brokers are now providing annual summary statements that document these, but not all do. To the extent that any of these transactions are relevant to a taxpayer's situation, I would keep those statements on the standard retention schedule.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us