The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-found-voelkels-recipe-on-this-board-old-30471468.aspx

Subject:  Re: Homemade Italian sausage? Date:  1/7/2013  2:09 PM
Author:  voelkels Number:  54840 of 55804

I found Voelkel's recipe on this board:

“Old World Italian Sausage

2 tea salt
1 tea black pepper
4 tea fennel seed
4 tea Oregano
1 tea garlic powder
1 tea red pepper (optional)
8 pounds boneless pork butt

Sprinkle combined seasonings over meat cubes in large bowl. Toss until well coated. Grind with desired grinding disc and stuff into casing.”

Axe-u-lee, that was a recipe that came with a booklet that came packed with a Oster meat grinder that I bought in 1983 or 82. It’s a fairly good one to start with but you may want to add/substitute seasonings, etc. for your own taste.

What would 1 teaspoon garlic powder translate to? Would I need to smash up the garlic really thoroughly, or would regular mincing be OK?

Hard to say, that. I would press 3 or 2 cloves of garlic with a garlic press and maybe mix it with a couple table spoons of red wine and use that. As OleDoc say, the recipe is a bit light on salt but you can always add more to your own taste. I like to crush at least half the fennel seeds in a mortar with a little salt before adding that to the spice mixture. You might also try making only a 1 or 2 pound batch at a time until you get a spice/salt mixture to your own taste. Other things that I have added besides wine is more red pepper and finely grated Pecorino Ramano and/or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (caution - they are fairly salty along with being expensive!!!).
;-)

Any tips for a sausage-making newbie?

I like to separate the fatty pork from the mostly lean meat and grind the fat with the fine plate of the grinder and the lean meat with the medium-coarse plate. Now-a-daze I use a Northern Tool meat grinder (See; http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200... ) and cool the metal parts of the grinder and meat in the freezer prior to grinding. I’ll grind the fat and refrigerate it while I grind the lean. Both the fat & lean will then be mixed along with the salt & spices before being stuffed into casings. I try to keep the temperature of the meat & finished sausages below about 37 degrees F. I make up the sausage into links of 1/4 to 1/2 pound each, wrap each link in plastic wrap and freeze in gallon-sized “Zip-lock”- type bags for later use. When I want some sausage for a recipe, its fairly simple to open the bag, take out 3 or 2 links, reseal the bag and put it back in the freezer without defrosting the whole mess.
;-)

C.J.V. - hope dat helps some, me
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us