The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quot-cars-did-require-that-the-engines-be-30471663.aspx

Subject:  Re: cahs for clunkers - disaster of a program Date:  1/7/2013  3:38 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  47232 of 63023

" CARS did require that the engines be destroyed by replacing the oil with sodium silicate. But that just trashes the block and the cylinders, and I'm pretty sure the scrap value of the much steel is worth salvaging to a recycler (as opposed to landfilling). Other parts like the transmission, alternator, AC compressors, etc. etc. and can still be salvaged and rebuilt or sold as used.

Also worth pointing out that if the price of used cars was driven up as the Teabaggers claim, then everyone who owns a used car (which is everybody who owns a car period) saw the value of their asset increase. Increasing the net worth of every car owner in America can't be all bad, can it?"

-----

Well......yes, it could be.

In VA, the personal property tax is based upon the current value of your car. If all the used cars jumped 10-15%, that means people had to pay another 10-15% more each year in personal property tax.

Second, the engine and the water pump and the radiator was destroyed by the Cash For Clunkers program. Good parts that are often re-used ......

you don't get an efficiency gain. Remember it took 1850 gallons of gas just to make the new car. It would take 18 years for the average driver of a 20mpg clunker to just pay back the 'cost' of a new car.

There are tens of millions of perfectly good 7+ year old cars out there. Some of the destroyed by C4C....... and thus, just to produce that 1850 gallons of gasoline - put more pollution in the air than will ever be saved by the C4C program!

Do the math.

Each new car consumes the energy equivalent of 1850 gallons of gas. To make the glass..to mine and transport and make the steel. to run the blast furnaces. To mine, make, transport the aluminum. To make all the plastic parts (from oil)....

It takes 18 years just to pay that back.......

But..it means you have POLLUTED NOW to make those cars.

Duh!....

And you only break even in 18 years!.....

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us