The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Beer Brewing for Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-expect-efficiency-to-suffer-with-no-30472912.aspx

Subject:  Re: Brew in a Bag Date:  1/8/2013  10:09 AM
Author:  whafa Number:  2717 of 2840

I would expect efficiency to suffer with no sparge but the aficionados claim 80% or better, so what do I know?

As craft brewers, we have an advantage over professionals in that cost efficiency is optional. I was doing no-sparge batches in my Gott cooler mash tun before I had to abandon the hobby. My thinking was that the first runnings would be of a higher quality, and it would reduce the possibility of leaching out tannins to zero. I would run some of the wort through a few times to set the grain bed, but after that I would just run the wort out into the kettle, top up with water if needed, and start my boil. I got great results with this.

So the no-sparge thing doesn't bother me. I'll have to get my BIL to ship me my kettle and a keg or two, but it looks like I'll be reviving my brew hobby thanks to this new method. I'll post my results!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us