The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 457 Plan Rollover to Roth IRA Date:  1/8/2013  5:59 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117320 of 124586

I have 457(b) deferred compensation plan from a previous (government) employer that I would like to rollover/convert into an existing Roth IRA account.

To the best of my knowledge, this 457 plan is “an eligible state or local government section 457 deferred compensation plan,” and therefore a “qualified retirement plan” for purposes of addressing eligible rollovers (per IRS Publication 575). My research indicates that I should be able to rollover/convert directly from a qualified employer sponsored plan to my Roth IRA custodian account via a “trustee to trustee” transfer. In other words, move the 457(b) funds directly into a Roth IRA without having to go through any additional