The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-assume-this-would-be-invested-in-a-non-30475552.aspx

Subject:  Re: Investing $ needed over the next 10 years Date:  1/9/2013  1:11 PM
Author:  ResNullius Number:  71236 of 76237

I assume this would be invested in a non tax-deferred account, not a 401k or IRA. With this said, given what you indicate, you could purchase a defined-period, single payment, immediate annuity, which would pay you a fixed amount over the next 10 years. You might do better than 2%, but I haven't looked the numbers up. Next, you might want to simply put about 80% of the money into something like Vanguard's short-term investment grade bond fund, with the balance in the SP500 index fund. This should do better and last almost forever, assuming you're taking out a fixed annual amount not to exceed an inflation adjusted 2% per year. If you want to deplete the principal over the 10-year period, then simply take more out each year. There are many options out there, both tax-exempt (depending on tax bracket) and taxable. Good luck.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us