The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltltthere-are-tens-of-millions-of-cars-out-30476150.aspx

Subject:  Re: cahs for clunkers - disaster of a program Date:  1/9/2013  4:52 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  47246 of 59177

<<There are tens of millions of cars out there 10 and 20 years old, still running well and providing LOWER INCOME folks with transportation...and for college students, interns, and others not making lots of money and not able to afford a new car.

You took all of those clunkers off the road and destroyed them.

That was a total waste of 'energy' in the world. You blew it.

>>

Yes, I think that's true.

Six years ago I bought a 1992 Chevy Astro van with 176,000 miles on it for $1500.

Today it looks like buying the same van (1992 with 200,000 miles) would cost about $2200.

So the cost of old used cars has been going up. Very likely the decline in the purchase of new cars because of the recession has caused most of that. The flood of old cars feww want to drive has been reduced.

But I would suppose that Obama's Klunker destruction program has contributed to that in a small way by reducing the supply of used cars that would otherwise be on the market.

Of course, liberals, Democrats and environmentalists are waging WAR on the WORKING CLASS! Bidding up the price of cars that working people often drive is just one part of that multifront war.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us