The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/threw-away-receipts-30476513.aspx

Subject:  Threw away Receipts! Date:  1/9/2013  8:14 PM
Author:  MissEdithKeeler Number:  117329 of 121095

Hi, I'm new to the board, so I'm not sure if this is the right place, or if this is one of those just really stupid questions, so apologies in advance if necessary.

My taxes are going to be complicated (for me!) this year. I moved, turned my house in Texas into a rental, had a boatload of medical expenses, and some other things I won't go into right now.

I've started work on my taxes and I realized that I did not keep any of the receipts associated with my move, which was, technically, for my job--I took a lower position in my hometown to be closer to my mom, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's. As far as I can tell from reviewing the material, I can still claim this on my income tax... but alas, I didn't save any receipts.

I can get credit card records, but will that be enough if I'm ever audited?

I'm probably going to have a CPA review my stuff this year, because I'm going to need all the deductions I can get (I also took a hardship distribution from my 401K--no lectures, please!) so I know I'm going to get hammered.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us