The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Health and Nutrition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-little-late-but-i-still-have-some-thoughts-about-30477095.aspx

Subject:  Re: Meat Grinder ? Date:  1/10/2013  7:47 AM
Author:  Blackduff Number:  38172 of 40755

A little late but I still have some thoughts about grinding!!

I tried to make Italian Sausage meat about six months back. All that I had was the old type of hand grinder and only one disc was available. This was the first problem~this grinder is really tough to use. My wife and I both needed to hold this grinder while I cranked.

I looked through the internet to get a good recipe. I actually found a hundred or more recipes, so I took the best of what I thought was good.

I bought 4 kilos, which gaves me about 7/8 pounds. This was kinda stupid to start with this much meat but for some reason, this was needed. Without complaining too much, it took a lot of work.

The sausage itself wasn't exactly what I wanted. The final recipe didn't ask for enough spices/herbs or other tasting ingredients. It was a "Light" tasting of sausage meat but barely. I froze most of the meat and during the next few months I munched through the "Trial" sausage.

This sausage making still encouraged to make more so I bought a Kenwood Meat Grinder. It's sitting in my kitchen right now and I'm going to read the machine instructions. I have a lot of paperwork which I had from the last time, so this will help me make a better try.

I already liked Italian sausage meat. When I was a kid, I could buy a "Hot Dago Sandwich". It was a thick piece of sausage which was cooked with a hot tomato sauce. There was large chunks of red peppers. Wow, was this good. This sandwich started in St. Paul, Minnesota, where I grew--up. The Italian Sausages itself were nice too. Some are sweet and others which are really hot.

But, for some reason, this Italian sausage meat never lasts the US. I live in France and I've never found a chunk of this sausage here. I also spent a lot of time working in Napoli ~ Zero Italian sausage in that area. The other places in Italy could not find this neither. So, my new Kenwood is going to present the taste of good Italian sausages.

Any comments or help for making my project. Or, if you know anything about the Italian sausage saga, post this please. I'm going to buy just two kilos of porc for this second trial. If this goes well, I might even put a casing onto the spigot and see if this can be done.

Blackduff
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us