The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-op-wrote-from-whence-to-these-rights-come-30477406.aspx

Subject:  Re: Here's why Libs don't get it Date:  1/10/2013  10:29 AM
Author:  Colovion Number:  665531 of 737393

The OP wrote:

From whence to these rights come? God, our Creator.

Actually I'm pretty sure I wrote:

From whence to these rights come? God, our Creator, the birth of Western Civilization, what you believe is between you and your idea of creation.

So the options are:

1. God
2. our Creator (not necessarily "God")
3. The birth of Western Civilization
4. Another option you may believe in (such as Natural Law)

The more I think of it the more I wish I had listed Natural Law in there (frankly that's my preferred option) but the point is you still misquoted me by clipping out the segment where I gave the other options and implied that two options referred to the same thing (which they may or may not).

The point still stands that the right to keep and bear arms is a pre-existing right, not one created by the Constitution. Therefore it's illegitimate to infringe on that right even if the Constitution is amended (not that I expect it to be). It stands above the Constitution, just like the right to life, the right to free expression, etc.

Any ideology that requires the government to grant rights is NOT compatible with freedom for it gives the government too much power to take away inherent rights (or never grant them in the first place). Classic liberals (like our Founding Fathers) understood this, the modern breed (like the PA liberals) cannot understand it, or if they do they're outright hostile to it. In either case that makes them enemies to liberty at best.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us