The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/numbers-is-a-spreadsheet-not-a-financial-30479196.aspx

Subject:  Re: money management software recs? Date:  1/11/2013  12:35 AM
Author:  awlabrador Number:  61953 of 65359

Numbers is a spreadsheet, not a financial application package. It will do what you need it to do if you teach it how, just like Excel. Some people do indeed use spreadsheets for personal and business finance nowadays, but it's probably more work.

You shouldn't need to install Office for Mac in order to run Quicken for Windows on your Mac. You should need only Crossover, or Windows plus VMware, Parallels, or Virtualbox.

Personally, I've not looked at Money to my recollection, I didn't like iBank, and I've never heard of You Need A Budget. I've used Quicken for Mac for well over a decade. Closer to two decades by now.

You wrote I need something pretty simple to use for beginners. What does that mean? Just starting to get control of your personal and business finances? Or just a beginner with finance software?

Not knowing more about you or your business, this is what I would recommend: If the former, get used to handling your personal finances and business on paper -- notebooks, ledgers, checkbook registers. Be meticulous about details, and be very regular about it.

If the latter -- or after you've mastered doing things on paper -- then try out financial application demos and finally buy the one that most closely matches your practice on paper.

That's what I did with my personal finances when I was much younger, and it was how I made my way to Quicken for Mac.

-awlabrador
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us