The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-voted-maybe-becuase-it-depends-in-large-part-on-30479535.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Is truth important? Date:  1/11/2013  9:33 AM
Author:  spookysquid Number:  416051 of 503004

I voted maybe, becuase it depends in large part on how you define "important" (Ha, thought I was going to say how you define "truth" didn't you?).

Truth is a judgement call. A sequence of events really happened as they are described is a judgement of truth, not objective fact. So in that case, "truth" describes acurate descriptions AND accurate understanding. Because I know that most do not have good capacity to understand, or more precisely, no one can perfectly understand everything all of the time, then it stands to reason that the inverse is also true, that many will fail to understan
Therefore the importance of accurately describing is diminished. If the second half of a two part expression is invalid, then the entire expression is invalid. Therefore, in answer to "is it important for me to accurately describe things (all or in part)" I say "It depends".

-spookysquid
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us