The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/windows-live-mesh-activex-for-remote-connections-30480314.aspx

Subject:  Windows Live Mesh ActiveX for Remote Connections Date:  1/11/2013  2:43 PM
Author:  Myownigloo Number:  183323 of 190819

I've been having speed issues and CPU overload for some time now and have been searching for why this is happening.

I note that the referenced program appears in my programs in several different languages. I suspect it's all the same program. It's just named in English, Chinese, French, Spanish, and a couple of other unknown languages with cyrillic characters. They are all the exact same size and they were all installed on the same day in July 2012.

At around that time, I had gotten what was supposed to be a one-time analysis of my computer by the company from whom I bought my internet security/firewall protection. It was one of those deals where they could continue the service monthly if I signed up afterwards.

I suspect that they installed these programs on my computer so they could look at it from a distance.

Am I wrong? Is that what it's for?

Since I didn't continue with the service, would it hurt to remove the program?

What are the chances that these are all identical programs but named in different languages so that anyone fluent in another language could find the program?

If so, would it hurt if I deleted all but the English version?

MOI
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us