The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Conservative Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-should-say-that-shapiros-argument-hangs-on-the-30480805.aspx

Subject:  Re: Magnificent takedown of Piers Date:  1/11/2013  6:30 PM
Author:  xLife Number:  114029 of 134007

I should say that Shapiro's argument hangs on the fundamental purpose of the 2nd amendment, which is to give the people the right and opportunity to defend against government tyranny.

Shapiro is sort of right, except that "the people" in the historical context the Second Amendment was set in, more likely refers to the states. That's not to say that the Second isn't also based on common law notions of an individual right of self-defense. But with regard to defense against a tyrannical government, the idea was to defend the state against a "standing army," which some founders feared, and against which a well-regulated militia was a necessary protection. As I've opined before, the quaint common notion that the founders intended to make a mob rebellion easier by making weapon ownership ubiquitous is contradicted by historical fact.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us