The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/personally-im-not-a-fan-of-boycotting-companies-30484167.aspx

Subject:  Re: Personal boycott Date:  1/14/2013  11:23 AM
Author:  lowstudent Number:  666347 of 740341

Personally I'm not a fan of boycotting companies because of their political views in most cases. I respect the right of people to do so but to me it just feels too much like letting politics rule your life.

I certainly understand your position.

I on the other hand, just feel if someone is going to be the face of a company and use the resources of that company to work against what I consider good, I can find a better option than helping them.

I think too much complacency does not really help anyone. To me, I figure if I can not be bothered to buy Carvel instead of Dairy Queen Ice Cream I don't deserve much.

I agree there is more to life. However, I also believe politics has become insanely invasive to my life. Heck I am a NYer, I can't buy a soda big enough to bathe in. That's nobodies business but my own -- I can't go to a place to smoke if I want to where the owner would like to allow me and all the other patrons would agree! I could go on and on and on about all the small liberties I have lost and how the folks I really do not want to give my money to in order to further their cause are part of the problem.

I do think you can be consumed by anything, and I don't plan to build my life around worrying if I support folks who hate what I believe, but I do plan to be conscious of it and do what I can.

For personally, I think these are people who want censorship, these are people who desire a more collective existence and these are people who have no idea of the eventual evil of what they endorse, and if I can't take a second to consider an easy and obvious way not the help them? I will know I really deserve it, and that I don't much care about my kids either.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us