The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Education, Jobs & Professions / Ask The Headhunter

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-with-fuskie-never-ever-give-out-any-30489933.aspx

Subject:  Re: UI chargeback issue Date:  1/16/2013  10:03 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  49041 of 49430

I agree with Fuskie. Never, ever give out any personal information over the phone unless you have originated the call. If you think you've received a legitimate call, ask the caller where their office is located and then independently look up their switchboard number and find them.

A number of years ago I received a call from someone claiming to be from the US Post Office Inspector's office asking me to call them back. I was sure this was some sort of scam, but before I called the number, I looked up the phone number for the local office (Newark) of the USPO Inspector. I called the number (in a different area code than the number left on my machine), explained why I was calling and asked if they had an employee with the name I was given. Turns out they did, he worked in the Trenton office. When I called I discovered I was the victim of mail fraud - someone had gotten access to my bank account for a small amount of money. Turns out I was one of thousands so affected and this inspector was heading up the investigation for the federal prosecution of the perpetrators. I ended up testifying at the trial.

I never did find out how they got access to my bank account, but since the access was under my son's name (even though he wasn't on the account), I suspect it may have been through something someone in the family ordered online.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us