The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Folly in 50 States and the World / Folly in California

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sano-its-perfectly-legal-to-own-various-models-30492295.aspx

Subject:  Re: Anyone else find it funny... Date:  1/18/2013  1:08 AM
Author:  Radish Number:  12846 of 12878

sano,

it's perfectly legal to own various models of full auto guns — Radish

You got a class 3? it's been illegal to import or domestically produce machine guns since 1986.

What does owning a gun have to do with importing or producing a gun? Nothing.

It is in fact perfectly legal to own various models of full auto guns in the US, exactly like I said.

I stand corrected. The shooters primary gun, an UZI, was configured for semi-auto.

There's been a thread on this on the Conservative Fools board. The use of full auto weapons in the US is incredibly rare. I posed the question of whether there has ever been a (non-Mafia) mass murder in the US where an automatic weapon was used. No one can think of any. There was a mass shooting, the North Hollywood Shootout in which semi-auto guns had been modified for full-auto operation, but no one was killed except the bank robbers themselves.

So it's very strange when people call for a ban on full-auto weapons in response to mass killings... seeing as how apparently it has never even happened.

Phil
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us