The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ive-seen-this-recommendation-before-too-in-my-30492299.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement savings benchmark Date:  1/18/2013  1:19 AM
Author:  fredinseoul Number:  71260 of 75880

I've seen this recommendation before too. In my case, this actually builds to the amount that I usually arrive at to produce the dividends/income I would like to not touch the principal while I use the money.

One of the things that this recommendation does address that others don't is that your savings grow much more in the later years than in the beginning. I saved 10% and got the match of my salary for most of the last 20 years, but have just built to 2X salary. However, in the last year, I earned more in interest than I contributed for the first three years. Momentum is starting to build for me, finally.

Many plans seem to suggest that you need to save so much and have such an amount by age 27 or you will never retire. I don't find them to be realistic in addressing the growth that kicks in later. Of course, having lived through the .com crash and the housing crash, I realize you may not get the growth, but size of account matters.

fredinseoul
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us