The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/paul-the-medicare-part-d-system-give-me-several-30493946.aspx

Subject:  Re: Walmart Prescription Plan Date:  1/18/2013  7:07 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  18161 of 19483

Paul the Medicare Part-D system give me several plans. The lowest cost option for me turned out to be First Health Value Plus. If I had different medications it is very likely this would not be the lowest total cost. It happens all my drugs are generic and pretty old drugs even for generics - with the exception of a generic statin which has been out for maybe 20 years. I have no co-pay, no deductible and a monthly premium of $25.70

Just in case anybody reading this thread is considering not enrolling in Part-D - You need know what the penalties are. You will pay a 1% per month up charge is you enroll later. So say you don't enroll for 2 years - 24 months. That means when you do enroll, not matter what plan you choose, your premium will be 124% of the normal premium. No question those of us in good health can save a buck or two. But my wife and I care for a friend whose drugs costs are hundreds a month even with Part-D insurance. Some cancer drugs are thousands a month.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us