The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Canadian Investing / Canada (General)

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/alas-i-have-no-statistics-to-back-that-up-30494629.aspx

Subject:  Re: Oil by rail Date:  1/19/2013  11:27 AM
Author:  tim443 Number:  63226 of 63849

Alas, I have no statistics to back that up.

carver

If you get Norm going you won't need them, I recall him and Jammer getting into a long discussion about the quality of thread used to sew the leather seats on an Embraer aircraft once. }};-()

Stats on the subject are easy to come by, rail is significantly more likely to have a spill for the same amount of product moved per mile, the rail guys admit this. They are also significantly more expensive (the numbers are closer on Bitumen due to the dilution) and there is a limit to how much they can ramp up though they do have more flexibility while waiting for the pipelines to catch up. They also need specially built loading and unloading facilities and tanks in order to move large quantities.

Statistics are always a challenge, if one railway moves one rail car load of oil without an accident they are 100% successful while the workhorse that moves tens of thousands of rail cars full of oil and has one accident gets the headlines.

Nice to see a few of the old souls showing up here, too bad about that troll over on Energy & Utilities. Unfortunately instead of ignoring him we have people providing the audience he craves by arguing with him.

Tim
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us