The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-ate-an-old-tough-fried-squirrel-and-a-30495015.aspx

Subject:  Re: Don't Show This To A Baby Boomer Date:  1/19/2013  3:53 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  667258 of 756522

"I ate an old tough fried squirrel and a bowl of Pork flavored Ramen noodles for breakfast. Delicious!" Art
-----------------------------------
"You can't be serious. Now you're just pulling our collective leg."
I refuse to eat garbage. I won't even eat ice cream unless it's Haagen Dazs." - Catherine

--------------------------

Yes, I'm serious. That is what I ate. I told you that most women would not put up with me. I'm a mess.

My wife's sister's husband is a minister in Dallas, Texas and does a lot of work in Ghana in the Water Wells program where they go into villages and dig wells to get clean water in the village. The church we attend here in Murfreesboro, Tennessee helps support that project. Quite a few of our members have actually gone to Ghana and seen the work and worked at a large Orphanage there and teach school at a Christian School in Ghana.

I could go to Ghana, Africa with that project if I wanted to. You know what appeals to me about that opportunity? I would be able to eat Cane or Grasscutter rat which is a large rat that they raise in Africa as a food source. I'd like to eat some grasscutter rat just to say I've tried it. I bet it is delicious!

"The Greater Cane Rat (Thryonomys swinderianus) is one of two species of cane rats, a small family of African hystricognath rodents. The cane rat lives by reed-beds and riverbanks in Sub-Saharan Africa. Cane rats can grow to nearly 2 ft (0.61 m) in length and weigh a little less than 19 lb (8.6 kg). It has rounded ears, a short nose, and coarse bristly hair. Its forefeet are smaller than its hind feet, each with three toes. ...<snip>.... However, the peoples of the region also utilize the cane rat as a potential food source (as bushmeat), considering the meat a delicacy. Consequently, grasscutters (as they are often called in Ghana and other regions of West Africa; alternatively, cutting grass) are beginning to be raised in cages for sale, and so are sometimes referred to as micro-livestock."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_cane_rat

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us