The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/another-poster-angel-may-suggested-that-we-30495825.aspx

Subject:  Re: Marriage Penalty Returns Date:  1/20/2013  10:06 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  117425 of 121103

Another poster, Angel May, suggested that we could afford the extra $20K per year.

Lots of people can afford more, and if they so desire they are always allowed to donate money. I'm sure the Federal Gov't would not turn their nose up at it. I agree with you about thinking outside the box and minimizing your legally required tax burden. People love to get all holier than thou about it. I received quite a bit of flack on another board when I started asking questions about DH and I not divorcing but my setting up residency at our second home to make it possible for Youngest to go to school in that state at resident pricing. That too would save us over $20K/year.

Of course we can afford it. I could afford to drive more expensive cars, live in a high end neighborhood, and send my kids to private school, but I don't do those things either. It is more important to us to save the income, have more financial security and retire earlier. (And I think it is harmful to the kids to bring them up in that way, but that's a whole other discussion.)

Disagree strongly with the bolded part. In fact, we are doing precisely what you are doing, as my parents also did. There is nothing wrong with teaching your kids to live below their means, saving money to accomplish your goals, particularly when it is the goal of leaving the rat race behind and focusing on enjoying each other. However, we are not leaving any of our obligations behind, will pay for their undergrad degree and always be there for them if they need us. I would point you to the Retire Early Camp Fire board for that discussion, but it has become so political that I rarely go there anymore.

IP,
who would venture that we are kindred spirits if it were not for the fact that I could never come to like your books ;-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us