The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-is-this-different-from-what-the-other-poster-30495936.aspx

Subject:  Re: Marriage Penalty Returns Date:  1/20/2013  11:45 AM
Author:  AngelMay Number:  117428 of 121351

How is this different from what the other poster is doing?

It sounds like you did exactly what the other poster is thinking of doing or am I missing something.

------------

I thought I explained that pretty clearly. We desperately needed that extra $$$. This couple does not. I wanted credit in my own name and being single was, at the time, the only way I could see to get it. We did not have children. This couple does. The presence of children makes a HUGE difference.

I'm not saying that what we did was necessarily the right thing to do. And in that sense, it isn't any different from what this couple is contemplating.

But I believe this couple will regret it if they do it. They may not, but I believe they will. They have plenty of money. They are not hurting. They can afford the taxes. And bringing up their children with good character is very important.

It's just my opinion. I don't claim to be the final expert here on anything. And they will do whatever they decide to do without regard, really, to what any of us tell them.

But I did think maybe they could hear from someone else on the matter.
The decision is theirs.

AM, not perfect.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us