The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/im-unsure-how-the-loan-reads-as-i-have-no-copy-30496008.aspx

Subject:  Re: Do I Need A Lawyer Date:  1/20/2013  12:43 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  117432 of 121219

I'm unsure how the loan reads as I have no copy of it, but by court order I guarantee the loan.

Loans are publicly recorded documents. If the county that your ex lives in has internet access to public records (many do), you should be able to look to see if there has been a lien release recorded. Some counties allow you to see copies of recorded documents online, too, so you may be able to see the loan docs themselves. Google the name of the county and state, along with 'clerk' or 'recorder'. There are services that charge for this, but if you access it through the county website, just looking at the docs is usually free.

If you can't find online access (maybe because the docs are too old for the county to provide images), a local attorney or title company should be able to get you copies. Neither of these options would involve contacting your ex, and you could determine the status of the loan.

Also, if your name is on the loan as a borrower (in order to provide the guarantee), you may be able to contact the lender to determine the status of the loan.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us