The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Owning Rental Property

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/isa-funds-or-property-investment-30496545.aspx

Subject:  ISA funds or Property Investment? Date:  1/20/2013  8:04 PM
Author:  wwwLearner Number:  4702 of 4925

Hi all

Hi Coleyfish - I hope this post finds its way to you.
Thanks for your reply to my original post (29/11/12 – for some reason I cannot locate any of my posts so I am starting this one from scratch and hope this make sense finding it hard to find the right category). I have started calling ‘ fund platforms’ will let you know when I have got some comparisons.

An update.

As per my original post I am still thinking of looking to transfer all of my ISA unit funds from Cofunds platform to a self select direct funds network
freeing me of management fees (at least lower fees). However, the new pricing structure seems more complicated aind a bit more confusing to me a challenge to make comparison.

The main reason why I have hold on to these funds for 12 years is because of the tax free aspect of it. I am just wondering whether this really outweighs the profits (as I have not much of a profit after all the fees I say I have made 1% a year on profit)??
With the profit I have made, I wanted to know whether I have calculated the percentage of the profit correctly? What figures do you use?? As previously mentioned my IFA keeps telling me it is a long term investment and a possible return of 5%?? But cannot narrow down how many years is consider long term..

Once I have worked out the profit and see what options I have to increase the profit then I can make a comparison about property investment.

As I am now trying to work out whether selling all the funds and use the cash to buy a property (so mortgage free) will be a better investment? My calculations gives me a rental yield of at least 6.5% pa.. Can this be a better investment than funds? As I think as long as it is rented out there will be an income also it is more than 5% so to me it seems to have more certainty than the funds which seems volatile

Thanks for reading and
I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Many thanks
L
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us