The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-code-encourages-and-discourages-all-sorts-of-30496862.aspx

Subject:  Re: Marriage Penalty Returns Date:  1/21/2013  1:39 AM
Author:  0x6a74 Number:  117451 of 121144

The code encourages and discourages all sorts of behavior. In this case it is discouraging high earning couples from marrying and encouraging married couples to consider divorce. I do not think it is just that an unmarried couple with the same earnings as my wife and I would pay $100k less in taxes over the next five years. Fix the code, I say, but until it is fixed I will consider this route. I admit it is drastic, but the tax savings is large.

one of the experts might know -- but istr tax law prof saying the math is such that you either 'penalize' high two-earner income marrieds
OR
penalize one-earner couples ..
& Congress picked the former
(perhaps thinking they can afford it, perhaps thinking most in Congress are one-earners, perhaps thinking you have to 'pay' for the benefits of marriage .... all that stuff gay couples want, but can't have)

suspect your increase may be less about marriage penalty and more about the end of "Bush-era cuts"
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us