The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/1-what-length-of-time-as-a-resident-does-va-30497003.aspx

Subject:  Re: Marriage Penalty Returns Date:  1/21/2013  9:06 AM
Author:  inparadise Number:  117459 of 121095

1. What length of time as a resident does VA require?

2. It wasn't clear whether the child in question would also move. If not, does it matter to VA that the child isn't a resident?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Wow, look at that. By asking questions instead of assuming you know the answers you can get to the heart of the matter.

These were exactly the type of issues I was trying to learn in my inquiry, my exploration of the possibility of legally establishing residency in VA while DH and Youngest stayed in PA. I know that I can legally establish VA residency, and in fact we are heading there when Youngest graduates, but would it be enough to accomplish my goal of getting Youngest eligible for VA residency in the eyes of a VA state school.

Instead of a thread exploring this out of the box approach, it became a thread of my defending myself from slams re something I had never said nor had any intention of doing, all because of assumptions rather than asking for clarification.

IF it sounded fraudulent to you, then you jumped to conclusions. While it is not an exhaustive dissertation detailing all the ways in which I would carry this out, (impossible for an inquiry where one is trying to find out what the issues are, evidenced by my question: "Just an idea at this point. Any pitfalls or potential I am not considering?",) my post in no way stated that I would not be living there as a true resident. Perhaps I should not assume that those on TMF are capable of a middle school level reading comprehension.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us