The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/cc-my-church-supports-a-missionary-to-ghana-too-30497893.aspx

Subject:  Re: Don't Show This To A Baby Boomer Date:  1/21/2013  5:36 PM
Author:  MetalDecathlete Number:  667593 of 737329

CC
My church supports a missionary to Ghana, too. When he comes back, he regales the congregation with stories about the food. It was a smack in the face at first what he had to eat while living there. I'll ask him about this rat next time I see him.

He said, "Most people pray before the meal. I routinely prayed during the meal. 'Oh, God, please protect me from what I'm about to eat'."

Same thing at my church. We support over 50 missionaries in different parts of the world. It's amazing what people eat.

For that reason, I would have trouble being a missionary. Some cultures get offended if you don't eat what they serve you. Being the health nut I am, I just could not do it.

I read Aurthor Blessitt's (missionary back in the 1970's) auto biography and he tells the story where at one tribal gathering, they served a dish that was a mixture of blood, puss and urine. He prayed and asked God to kill the germs as he ate it.

No frakking way. If it means offending them to keep my health and dignity, then tough sh!t for you! <g>

Metal
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us