The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: filing an amended return Date:  1/23/2013  8:33 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117500 of 127753

My question is... how difficult is it to file an amended return?

Piece o' cake.

I filed electronically last year, so I provided no paperwork or receipts.

Nor should you have if you filed on paper.

Assuming that I can find all the required receipts/paperwork they need with the amended return, does this typically "wake the sleeping giant", or is it a fairly common thing?

While you can't file a Federal amended return electronically, the only paper you need in your case is Form 1040X and an amended Schedule A. You will need to locate your 1098's for the mortgage interest, but that's just because you don't know what one number is (first) and you need to know whether or not the HELOC interest was reported on a 1098.

Your software will prepare the necessary forms, but make sure you save a copy of the return as it was originally filed before you start changing it.

As for waking the giant, he's already awake, as you'll find while it takes a lot of time for them to process the amendment. That's because they have so many of them. And don't forget your state once you've done the Federal.

I don't need the $500-800

My address available on request.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us