The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/makes-sense-to-me-even-in-my-job-areas-police-30501069.aspx

Subject:  Re: Middle Class[Income] Jobs ain't Coming Back? Date:  1/23/2013  10:52 AM
Author:  Colovion Number:  667895 of 734861

Makes sense to me. Even in my job areas (police records/crime analysis) a lot of the processes that used to be done by hand are being automated. I'm automating a lot of them myself. Instead of going to get a physical copy of the reports we can just pull up the PDF, scan it to make sure nothing confidential is on it, add watermarks (no need to stamp it by hand) and then e-mail it to the recipient as a PDF. That makes our job easier (less people necessary to handle the task) and we use less paper (so we buy less from the paper companies), don't use stamps (companies make those) and ink (companies make that) nor postage (USPS gets less business, as does our internal mail department).

However, I would argue that what is being eliminated is mostly wasted labor that can be put to better, more productive use. Instead of spending time doing all that shlepping around of paperwork I can spend more time organizing the data that keeps coming in. Those not making paper can make other, more useful items, perhaps from the very same material (paper is used for all sorts of things besides printing, as is wood of course).

The name of the game is being able to adapt to changing market conditions both physically and mentally. Those with the most adaptable skills will succeed. Those with limited skills or highly specialized skills that cannot be adapted will be in trouble. Literacy, math, and a broad set of technical skills are the keys.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us