The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-see-it-gradually-retail-shops-that-have-self-30501173.aspx

Subject:  Re: Middle Class[Income] Jobs ain't Coming Back? Date:  1/23/2013  11:47 AM
Author:  MetalDecathlete Number:  667899 of 756364

We see it, gradually. Retail shops that have self checkout. Tollbooths going away because of electronic reading of chips and liscense plates.

Technology has it's growing pains.

As a software developer myself, every organization I've worked for has strived to make processes more effecient and error free. Thus making it possible to hire less and less people to do what was once a manual process.

My advice to young people? Be up on tech skills and go into a tech career if you have the aptitude.

My son fought it. Was good a math and science but had an aversion to studying. <g> Which is a must considering how complex technology is.

He turned down several full scholarships (athletic) to good schools because he feared the high academic standards. SMU and Westpoint being the most notable.

He got a non-technical degree (I can't remember it's name) involving disaster preparation/recovery. He was planning on working for the gov't, Air Force or for a large corporation that hires such professionals.

But the economy in 2009 dried up gov't jobs, right after he graduated from college. He took an entry level job as a business analyst. Found out the money was in IT and took database language courses on the side and now does data mining and database administration. Get's paid pretty well. He's happy. Turned out to be a nerd like his ole man. <g>

Metal
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us