The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks D / Disney

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/when-it-launched-i-was-there-i-built-the-network-30501582.aspx

Subject:  Re: Buffett used to own Disney stock Date:  1/23/2013  2:16 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  48374 of 49467

When it launched (I was there, I built the network the automation system ran on), it was all MGM. The big deal at the time was whether or not Turner was going to colorize the black and white classics (he didn't). And because it was the first completely automated commercial free network, they could ingest up to 2 weeks worth of programming. In fact, there was a warning light over at Cartoon Network Master Control next door that would flash if ever there was an error detected at TCM since there was no operator watching TCM Master Control.

Personally, I would love to see Disney launch a Disney Movie Channel, 24hrs of Disney original productions, from theatrical releases to TV specials to cartoons from the vault. I miss the old Vault Disney midnight show on the Disney Channel.

Fuskie
Who recalls it was a NetWare 4 SFT III 100Base-T local area ethernet network powered by a pair of fiber-connected Dell PowerEdge servers...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us