The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ira-investment-30501768.aspx

Subject:  IRA investment Date:  1/23/2013  3:30 PM
Author:  bentony Number:  117504 of 121572

I know that the MLP "Pipelines" special report stated that "because MLPs are already tax-deferred,they’re probably not the best use of your precious IRA dollars." So my basic question is: What is the best use of "my precious IRA dollars", since that is where most of my money is: tax-deffered accounts?" My portfolio analysis suggests I need more large cap and fixed income, less small cap investments. I'm in a low tax bracket (probably around 15-20%, unless major changes occur in my business/profession),and I likely won't make any withdrawals for another 5 years, or more, since I'm 55 and 1/2 right now. I'm not too worried about taxes , as my income will be very low when I withdraw anything(another 4-5 years). Plus, if an investment grows a lot while shielded from taxes, I likely won't mind paying the taxes after I do make the withdrawals! BTW,my portfolio analysis suggests I need more large cap and fixed income, less small cap investments. I'm just tempted to put a bit of MLP(a large cap one) in there, just to diversify and have a little fun watching what happens. Any thoughts, fools?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us