The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/what-proliferation-of-guns-didnt-someone-30502029.aspx

Subject:  Re: Contradiction? Gun ownership v. Military bud Date:  1/23/2013  4:48 PM
Author:  Beridian Number:  416888 of 445769

What proliferation of guns? Didn't someone recently post stats demonstrating that gun ownership has been in decline for decades?

We have the highest population of guns in the world, and it's growing. There is some thought that the numbers of gun owners may be on the decline, but those that do own guns own more of them.

What loose gun laws?

Well, for a start the ones that allow private sales and gun show sales with no background check. Most guns involved in crime can be traced back to gun shows and a handful of unscrupulous dealers. This is a hole that needs to be plugged.

I don't think that the answer to spree shootings involves banning AR15s.

It's not only about spree shootings. It's about street crime, domestic violence, suicide, and accidents. Every gun out there is a point on a graph that increases the mathematical odds of something unfortunate happening. There are simply too many guns in circulation for our own good. Compare our stats to the rest of the civilized world, it is glaringly obvious. I fail to see how people can not recognize guns as the public health hazard that they are.

Guns can be safely owned and utilized, I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the untold thousands of abusive uses of guns, and I want some serious reform.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us