The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bentony-quotthe-reason-i-referred-to-small-cap-30502184.aspx

Subject:  Re: IRA investment Date:  1/23/2013  5:29 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  117507 of 121187

bentony: "The reason I referred to small cap, large cap,fixed, is that just about every "advice" or analysis for amateur investors tells us to diversify the portfolio, based on timeframe and risk tolerance."

Yes.

"Even in an IRA, that diversification should matter, shouldn't it?"

Probably, but many people suggest viewing you IRA, Roth IRA and taxable investment accounts as one portfolio and not three different portfolios. It is difficult to infer from your post whether you are viewing the IRA as its own portfolio independent of any Roth IRA or taxable investments.

"So,what I'm really asking is this: shouldn't I be looking for an investment that will be worth a lot more when I take it out than when I put it in?"

Yes.

"If there is an additional tax advantage(in addition to it's IRA status),that's just icing on the cake. Correct?"

Not necessarily. Any additional tax advantage usually comes at a cost; if you can invest in the underlying investment without the wrapper that provides the additional tax advantage, one can usually do better by investing the IRA funds directly. In addition, if you find tax free bonds paying substantially more than taxable bonds, then the default risk is also probably susbtantially higher (and it is not clear from your posts how you are analyzing/measuring your different investment choices).

If there is an additional tax advantage, why not invest with your after tax/taxable dollar investments and use the IRA for soemthing that would generate taxable income if held in your taxable account?

Regards, JAFO
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us