The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Bonds & Fixed Income Investments

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quick-update-for-anyone-who-may-be-interested-i-30506338.aspx

Subject:  Re: $950K ... now what? Date:  1/25/2013  1:56 PM
Author:  MisterFungi Number:  34724 of 35367

Quick update for anyone who may be interested.

I cannot reallocate my past TIAA-CREF contributions. But I can -- and now have -- changed the allocation of future contributions (which will most likely be only the next 18 months, which is when I retire). The new allocation is:
50% Vanguard Balanced (VBAIX)
25% Vanguard Total US Stock Market (VITSX)
20% Vanguard Total International Stock Index (VTSNX)
5% Vanguard Emerging Markets Equity (VEMIX)

The balanced fund is roughly 60% US equities, 40% fixed income. The fees on these Vanguard funds are extremely low. Boring, I know. But I feel comfortable with it.

My wife and I also started Roth IRAs with Schwab and put the max possible for 2012 and 2013 into them. I have yet to invest those funds but plan to do so soon, focusing on dividend-growth (esp. things like REITs, for which dividends are not otherwise tax-advantaged). And I have a small traditional IRA that I've largely ignored for a few years but will now pay more attention to.

That still leaves the bulk of the Schwab investment accounts. I am gradually investing their large cash balances. There is now, and will be more of, a mix of stocks and bonds in them. Plus a bit fun money for trading. (I amazed myself by actually booking some profits trading TBF.)

We will probably keep three years' salary tucked away in savings/CDs. Zero debt. First grandchild expected in early March. I even signed up yesterday for the Great Aloha Run (on Presidents Day) here in Honolulu. Life is good.

So, there is still more to do. But I feel good about what we've accomplished already this year.

Thank you all for helping me get moving on this!

Fungi
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us