The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/while-the-article-you-referenced-is-discomforting-30506343.aspx

Subject:  Re: Password Keepers Date:  1/25/2013  1:58 PM
Author:  TwoCybers Number:  183516 of 189506

While the article you referenced is discomforting, if you read the details widely reported this person violated a number of important rules -- like using common passwords. My own view is there are very few people whose security would not be improved by adopting/using a password manager.

On one extreme those people who use Password, 123456, or ChangeMe as a password might actually use some decent passwords.

On the other extreme people like your self could easily use a different, secure password for each site and would find it much easier to change them periodically - since recording/remembering would be less trouble.

If your home has multiple computers and users, a manager makes it easy to keep a household database current. In my case, my wife is a Windows person and I use Mac - since our Password manager syncs across both PCs and operating systems we have minimal hassles.

Finally - just because things can go very wrong and loosing all data in a Password Manager could be a serious problem - we keep a spreadsheet with various information including passwords. If you go this route, you might want to consider a file name other than PINs or Passwords.

Gordon
Atlanta
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us