The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Owning Rental Property

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/do-you-plan-to-manage-the-property-yourself-if-30508026.aspx

Subject:  Re: The marital challenges of buying 1st rental Date:  1/26/2013  2:38 PM
Author:  KennyO Number:  4710 of 4907

Do you plan to manage the property yourself? If your husband's already reluctant, that would be a big barrier to a big investment. I'd surely be pissed if my spouse forced me into a potentially big job without my buy-in beforehand. Another barrier would be if you've not noticed that his interest along the way has been pretty low. It appears that you're the only one of the two of you saying, "We should do this."

Don't be in a hurry. If he's reluctant to buy real estate then invest in something else appropriate while you lay the groundwork. Maybe he just needs a push but maybe even a little push might push him too hard. You need to plan this together, even if the plan winds up with you doing the whole thing and he's simply along for the ride. Good Luck!

KennyO
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us