The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/on-second-thought-2828-small-cap-issue-30509427.aspx

Subject:  On second thought, 2828 - Small Cap Issue Date:  1/27/2013  4:02 PM
Author:  TreyAnas Number:  668519 of 749505

2828 suggested in an earlier post that I raise a retirement topic, if that's what I want to discuss. Maybe he/she's right, so here goes ...

Besides Options, I'm evaluating MF Hidden Gems. I have about 35% of my portfolio in small caps and all of this, with the exception of a single small position, is split between IWN and IWO. (These are small cap value and growth stock ETF's, respectively.)

I used ETF's for my US small cap asset allocation both to diversify away as much risk as I could, and to save time studying stocks. Though IWO and IWN have done very well over the last decade or so, tracking their indeces admirably, I think I'm ready to do a little more work, take a little more rick, and shoot for slightly better returns.

The question is this: how many individual positions should one take within a small cap allocation? HG holds a whole ton of tiny positions and many on the boards seem to lean toward "big" numbers (say 20-30 positions) as well. I think the risk can be managed with 10 or fewer within that asset class.

Thoughts? Trey
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us